[lbo-talk] 3 videos I uploaded to YouTube, enjoy

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 16:16:24 PDT 2006

Sounds like you got a real kick out of what Bookie had to say. "Factory discipline" as the excuse for no revolution doesn't ring true to me, either (and the Bookchin of '79 is not necessarily the Bookchin of '06, incientally). It also sounds soooo 1960s. I'm with you if you're asserting the authoritarian structure of the family plays a massive role [Bookchin also noted that, too, though] -- but hierarchies at work don't help, either.

Reich's Mass Psychology of Fascism: "The authoritarian state gains an enormous interest in the authoritarian family: The family becomes the factory in which the state's structure and ideology are molded. [...] [Our society's] morality's aim is to produce acquiescent subjects who, despite distress and humiliation, are adjusted to the authoritarian order. The family is the authoritarian state in miniature, to which the child must learn to adapt himself as a preparation for the general social adjustment required of him later." Or, as I learned when pursuing a Sociology degree: The family is the primary agent of socialization.

And, just as when I've quoted Nietzsche selectively, my quoting Reich here doesn't mean I agree with everything the man ever wrote -- just thought he expressed a cogent point in this instance.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Oooh, 'the workers' movement never really had the revolutionary potentialities that Marx attributed to it.' The factory programmed workers' minds to be regimented & obedient. So MB turns to anarchism as a critique of all hierarchies. But what if the original parent-child relationship is the source of our longing for hierarchy?"