[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed May 24 06:39:05 PDT 2006

As a selective omnivore, I have an allergy to moralistic, crusading vegetarians, these Puritans in jeans. Sorry, but I refuse to feel guilty for eating a piece of bacon once in a while. I'd much prefer to get my information from writers who give the impression they actually *like* food, such as Michael Pollan. His "Botany of Desire" from a few years ago explored the sociology and political science of four agricultural products: the apple, the potato, marijuana, and a fourth I can't remember (tulip maybe?), and he did so with great panache, humor, insight, and affection for the subject (well, fascination in the case of weed), without mincing words about the disastrous affects of multinational agribusiness on the humble spud.

I haven't read his latest tome, "An Omnivore's Dilemma", but I browsed a few pages of it the other day in a bookstore. It compares the agribusiness vs. commercial organic vs homegrown dinner table and looks like it takes a similar approach to SInger's. I think I would rather read this one instead. If some day I need some vegetarian inspiration, I'll dig out my South-Indian cookbooks.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam