[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat)

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:34:36 PDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> I haven't read his latest tome, "An Omnivore's Dilemma", but I browsed
> a few pages of it the other day in a bookstore. It compares the
> agribusiness vs. commercial organic vs homegrown dinner table and
> looks like it takes a similar approach to SInger's. I think I would
> rather read this one instead. If some day I need some vegetarian
> inspiration, I'll dig out my South-Indian cookbooks.

I'm about halfway through it -- it's a keeper, a deeper take than "Fast Food Nation" with a touch of "Botany". Pollan really is a joy to read, witty and informative without beating you over the head. And like you said the fact that he seems to enjoy his food make a difference.

I haven't read Singer, but from the Alternet article it sounds like he's is making a point about environmental resource use -- that there's not enough to equally share use of animal products among humans, plus leaving something for the critters. My fear is that he might have a point with that....

-- Andy