[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Wed May 24 23:34:01 PDT 2006

ravi wrote:

> At around 24/5/06 8:31 pm, / dave / wrote:
>> And leave it to me to gloss over the fact that people actually like
>> good-tasting food now and then.
>>

> Your point being that vegetarian or vegan food doesn't taste good?

No, the point being that most any food tastes better than vitamin pills. (Sorry for the confusion...)

... and Miles Jackson wrote:

> / dave / wrote:

>> And leave it to me to gloss over the fact that people actually like

>> good-tasting food now and then. (Virtually all my meals are six-minute

>> affairs...)

> Man, that's a pretty sad commentary on U. S. capitalist culture, isn't

> it? Food is a commodity to be inhaled, not an excuse for social

> interaction!

Very true. However, as a slight qualifier (though maybe even an affirmation of your comment in some cases), one might point out that the idea of a shared mealtime presupposes the existence of a social network that allows and encourages said person-to-person interaction at that time of day (not a given in every situation) - and, related to this, there's also the possibility of financial limitations that don't permit frequent public feedings at local establishments where people are wont to gather.

--

/ dave /