[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill responds to U. of Colorado investigation]

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 20:22:31 PDT 2006

We should abandon this sinking ship. Even if Churchill's charges turned out to be true, he not only failed to support them, he fabricated evidence, systematically misread sources, plagiarized, and in general violated every scholarly canon of evidence. It is true,a s he says, that few scholars would come through the kind of examination he was subjected to unscathed -- maybe Norman Finkelstein would. Arnoldo Momigliani. Anthony Grafton. Richard Westfall. A few. But "scathed" isn't the same thing as "shamefully discredited."

This isn't a case like David Abraham's, the Princeton historian who was run out of the profession on a rail for making a few ordinary mistakes of the sort almost any scholar but the fanatical perfectionists do. This is the case of a writer -- he can't be called a scholar -- who committed every crime against scientific scholarship that it is possible to commit,a did so systematically, repeatedly, willfully, and over a long period of time.

The tragedy is that he has partly discredited the truth, as Doug says. Good intentions here in the sense of loyalty to Native Americans or justice for the oppressed are beside the point. A historical scholar's first duty is to speak the truth as dictated, insofar as it is dictated, by the evidence, and to do so honestly and transparently. And let the chips fall where they may -- it does not serve us to lie, misrepresent, exaggerate, cheat, and steal, and then get huffy when caught.