[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri May 26 13:55:42 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, info at pulpculture.org <info at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> you have to have B12, essential
> proteins and essential fats. an entirely vegan diet doesn't provide that
> for you. a vegetarian diet usually doesn't provide that for you. there are
> plenty of stories of people becoming ill because they ate a vegetarian diet
> without knowing that they had to carefully eat certain foods to get the
> right amount of essential proteins, fats, B!2.

There are plenty of stories about a lot of things. Not all of them are true. I have plenty of personal experience in this regard as a vegetarian for over 20 years, as are three quarters of my immediate family and a large proportion of my close friends and colleagues. All of us are perfectly healthy without "eating carefully". You do get the occasional person who ate poorly to start with and simply replaces a diet of McDonald's hamburgers with a diet of McDonald's French fries, but most of those people don't remain vegetarians for long.

You are simply wrong about the amount of care that has to go into a vegetarian diet.