[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri May 26 14:33:18 PDT 2006

At 04:55 PM 5/26/2006, Wendy Lyon wrote:
>On 5/25/06, info at pulpculture.org <info at pulpculture.org> wrote:
>
>>you have to have B12, essential
>>proteins and essential fats. an entirely vegan diet doesn't provide that
>>for you. a vegetarian diet usually doesn't provide that for you. there are
>>plenty of stories of people becoming ill because they ate a vegetarian diet
>>without knowing that they had to carefully eat certain foods to get the
>>right amount of essential proteins, fats, B!2.
>
>There are plenty of stories about a lot of things. Not all of them
>are true. I have plenty of personal experience in this regard as a
>vegetarian for over 20 years, as are three quarters of my immediate
>family and a large proportion of my close friends and colleagues. All
>of us are perfectly healthy without "eating carefully". You do get
>the occasional person who ate poorly to start with and simply replaces
>a diet of McDonald's hamburgers with a diet of McDonald's French
>fries, but most of those people don't remain vegetarians for long.
>
>You are simply wrong about the amount of care that has to go into a
>vegetarian diet.

if you'll notice, most of my posts on this thread are about VEGAN diets. my statement was about those diets. I am not wrong that a vegan diet is one that, in principle, does not provide essential fats, essential proteins, and essential vitamins (specifically B12)

And my objection was and remains: talking about vegetarian practice, historically and currently, as if it's the same thing as what's Singer advocates is irresponsible. Vegetarians do not eat like Vegans who choose not to eat _any_ animal products whatsoever.

My other posts pointed at a study that stated it bluntly, so it's not a peculiarity to this conversation, but one that takes places in formums for vegans. Vegans in this research repeatedly suggest that health problems associated with the vegan diet are a deficiency of the individual, rather than a deficiency of the diet -- a diet where supplements aren't supplements, but a necessity to avoid becoming ill.

I also think that you discount the tendency for USers to be vegjunktarians, as this article points out and it's just exactly what I described and points at why I was ill: http://drfuhrman.com/library/article5.aspx

I ate a diet with rice and beans but I certainly couldn't afford nuts and seeds. I almost died and have damaged body immeasurably. When you toss it all off as something that's a goof on the part of the ill-informed, in the context of a conversation that suggests that you eon't need any special knowledge -- well, I'm a little flummoxed. I happen to think that you are doing a disservice to the "some" people out there who are real people, just as real as the animals Singer is concerned about.

The ill informed are ill informed because of conversations like this one where the only person who took responsibility for the problems was / dave /. Other cultures in othe rplaces are the model: we live in junk food USofA. We lived in processed rice and bread, US of A! ravi joked about my health condition as if it was ha ha funny and peculiar. I wasn't and remain unamused. Or is that just the utiliatarian thing and the one person who gets sick from this diet doesn't count, so there's no need to notice that it's all taking place in the context of a discussion, _by vegetarians_, who cahlk it up to stupid owns that should know better.

Again, they're ill-informed because of conversations like this one.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org