[lbo-talk] "American Indians"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 15:56:06 PDT 2006

Just out of curiosity (and my well-known interest in comparisons of US and Russian history, in this case with respect to the respective country's indigenous peoples), to what extent do today's American Indians think of themselves as forming a single group? Obviously there was no such concept in 1500 -- there were Apaches, Mohawks and so forth, not AIs. AI-ness as far as I know would have made no sense to them. To what extent is there such a collective identity today? Does being an AI trump being a Blackfoot or a Cherokee, say? Is there much solidarity between the different tribes? Sorry if this question shows my ignorance/naivete.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!