[lbo-talk] "American Indians"

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 26 17:06:57 PDT 2006

Certainly there is a collective sense of Indianness regardless of tribe for all Native Americans. There is an unfortunate tendency for some tribes, but not all, to think of themselves as their tribe first and Native American second. It isn't something that is obvious to society at large however. Solidarity tends to be regional with Great Lakes tribes feeling they have a common interest and Southwestern tribes feeling the same but there is not much communication between the regions.

Right now there is a rather scary civil liberties lawsuit that brings this problem home for native Americans. I don't know how it's going to wash out but I'm afraid it will not work out for the best and will undermine tribal sovereignty in the end.

John Thornton