[lbo-talk] Churchill, COINTELPRO, and the 2nd investigation

Aaron Shuman maruta_us at yahoo.com
Sat May 27 09:12:04 PDT 2006

Hi, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the effect this could have on Ward's work on COINTELPRO and imprisonment. I'd like to read more about the possible second investigation (see brief mention below); the fact that at least one accusation is centered around El Salvador makes me wonder if it's targeting this side of Ward's work now. Would be interested in more articles on this, if people have seen them...

When I think of popular authors on COINTELPRO, the first person I think of is Ward. Right now, as the biggest domestic spying scandal in years is breaking, with the ACLU turning up more files on environmental and antiwar groups every month, it seems, a popular "expert" on COINTELPRO gets taken down in a wrestling match? Bad news.

This possible second investigation offers strong support for Carrol's point about the illegitimacy of "impartial" investigations launched for political reasons: close one investigation; they'll open another, and another, until the subject is pounded out of his position. I can't think of any right-wing academic whose work has been subjected to this kind of factchecking and footnote-reading; on the other hand, there's Ward, Mike Davis, Michael Bellesiles (sp?)...

So to the people on this list who want to micro-analyze WC's footnotes, is a solution to come up with a Left list of bad right-wing professors (a la David Horowitz's hit list) and go after their footnotes? Or to reject politically-launched investigations to begin with?

The lead article on Horowitz's frontpagemag.com website this morning is "How Many Ward Churchills?" Links to a 50+ page report surveying many college campuses; the first chapter is titled "Ward Churchill Is Everywhere." Hope everyone here has their footnotes tight.

aaron