[lbo-talk] Academic Freedom, was Re: Ward Churchill. . . .

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat May 27 11:00:09 PDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:35:22 -0700 (PDT) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:
> A very strange view, Carrol. We should ignore a
> well-documented expose of a purported scholar's shoddy
> work, and treat that work as if the evidence of fraud,
> fabrication, misrepresentation, etc. did not exist,
> because the investigation was initially motivated
> --improperly, I agree -- by revulsion against the
> purported scholar's political views?

I think that Carrol's point is that we only delude ourselves to think that what is going on here is a disinterested pursuit of the truth concerning American Indian history and the quality of WC's scholarship on it. What is going on is an attempt to revive McCarthyism. In other words what is going on is a political powerplay against progressive academics. I would submit that for us to throw WC overboard will not put a stop to this. On the contrary, the smell of blood will simply draw in more of the rightwing sharks who will simply go after more targets, including people whose scholarship is much less questionable than WC's. WC has been singled out because he was seen as being especially vulnerable. If he goes down, I can guarantee you that the rightwing hit machine will not stop with him.

You may recall that back in the 1950s, Sidney Hook waged attacks against other scholars that were not dissimilar with the kinds of attacks being waged against WC. For example, Hook went after philosopher, John Somerville, the author of the book, *Soviet Philosophy*. Hook penned a, then famous, attack in the pages of the Nation in which he went full-throttle against Somerville, questioning his academic and scholarly credentials. And indeed, Somerville's book was problematic in certain significant respects (like ignoring Stalin's liquidation of many Soviet philosophers). Given the political climate of the times, do you think that progressives should have then joined Hook's lynch mob against Somerville? After all, Hook went on record as arguing that those academics who were engaged in what he lableled as "conspiracy," such as maintaining membership in the CPUSA should be denied academic freedom.

> But all
> knowledge is interested, driven by some agenda, that
> is a basic principle of Marxism. You write as if only
> investigations motivated by a disinterested love of
> truth merit our attention. I suppose there may be such
> a thing, but it's not very common (certainly not in
> history or the social sciences), and for inquiries so
> motivated to gain any traction they typically have to
> be hooked to some kind of extra-academic interest. In
> fact, on your principle, we can ignore Churchill to
> begin with, because his entire body of work is
> motivated by political, extra-academic interests. I
> don't see anything wrong with that, myself,a s long as
> the work is good.
>
> Maybe you say that it's different because the initial
> basis for investigating WC was itself suspect, an
> attempt to discredit him because of his political
> views. Well, if his work had been really solid, if he
> hadn't been a liar, he wouldn't have gotten into the
> sort of scholarly trouble he's in because of of those
> views. Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein (to name two
> solid controversial scholars) have been pissing off
> people for years, but because their work is honest it
> is their critics who have to lie, distort, and
> misrepresent. Would that we could have said the same
> in the case of WC. Or Bellisides, for that mater.

Well, as I think you know, Finkelstein has struggled for years to get any sort of decent academic position, and had to survive doing adjunct teaching wherever he could since he couldn't get into any sort of a tenure track job. And you, more than anyone here, should be aware that one can publish in the most respectable professional journals, being careful "to cross one's t's and dot one's I's," and still be denied tenure because of your political views. Even if WC's scholarship did not have the kinds of problems it seems to have, he still would be the subject of a political attack that is aimed to deprive him of his job. And the last time that I checked, over at Harvard Law School, Larry Tribe, Charles Ogletree and Alan Dershowitz, were still not in danger of losing their jobs despite their having committed academic misconduct (which the first two have admitted to, and Dershowitz denying having done anything wrong).