[lbo-talk] Mom, what's academic freedom?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun May 28 06:33:22 PDT 2006

On 5/28/06, info at pulpculture.org <info at pulpculture.org> wrote: <snip>
> You trust Yoshie and Perelman to represent the facts accurately and run of
> to a general political discussion board or a blog and repeat what you read.
> Someone says: "Prove it."
>
> You copy-cut-paste the information and say, "Yoshie, editor of MRzine, and
> Professor M Perelman, both of whom should know, said that this is a good
> example of how the stuff WC did happens all the time. See all those
> citations! The citations show that it happens with great frequency. It's
> really no big deal. In fact, I'd wager a lot of right wingers do it, too!
> Ha ha ha."

> "Do Authors Check Their References?:
> http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/77/8/1011
>
> (This one comes close, noting that 15% of the citations in the 150 journals
> they checked contained footnotes that did not say what the author contended)

JOURNAL ARTICLE Do authors check their references? A survey of accuracy of references in three public health journals

P Eichorn and A Yankauer

We verified a random sample of 50 references in the May 1986 issue of each of three public health journals. Thirty-one per cent of the 150 references had citation errors, one out of 10 being a major error (reference not locatable). Thirty per cent of the references differed from authors' use of them with half being a major error (cited paper not related to author's contention). <http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/77/8/1011></blockquote>

The point is that 30% of the references differing from authors' use of them and half of them being unrelated to authors' contentions is NOT the sort of fact that a political investigation takes into account AT ALL. If some professor regarded as a leftist achieves some kind of notoriety, a university investigates his works in response to political pressures, and finds several major problems, it doesn't matter if the said professor's rate of minor errors is just 7% and his rate of major errors is only 0.05%. No one (except Michael Perelman) will say, wow, he's so much better than the average! Most will say, whoa, what a crook!

If a university wants to check its professor's footnotes and the rest of her works thoroughly, check every professor's, as a matter of routine safeguards for quality of scholars' publications, and take appropriate actions -- e.g., not giving her tenure -- if problems are found. But a university shouldn't single out and investigate a professor in response to the governor's, FoxNews's, and others' calls for her head. This shouldn't be a difficult point to understand, unless one can't see the forest for the trees.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>