[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

Louis Kontos lkontos at mac.com
Sun May 28 16:41:34 PDT 2006

What's your point? Sure, Dylan is a man and only that. My point is that contemporary music is a bunch of garbage -- really, it just has to be said -- and in this big heap of garbage we have some decent music. It should be recognized (or ignored), not scorned or ridiculed. Moreover, 'recognizing' it is not a matter of saying it's good or great, but engaging it in some way. People don't do that with Dylan. Instead, they 'project' all their foibles and failures and unfulfilled expectations and frustrations and the rest. You can see that much in almost every review and commentary about Dylan. (The only other poet-musician that can rival Dylan -- in my view -- Leonard Cohen, has never had his work taken apart so casually and aggressively. In fact, nobody is subject to the kind of nasty routine that Dylan has faced over four decades.) I don't believe that Dylan projects anything onto 'us' (that 'we are like a screen' for Dylan). If you believe that, you should elaborate. How does he do that? Louis