[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 28 15:12:21 PDT 2006

> > The anti-disco moment of punk was full of racism and homophobia. Not in
> > every case, for sure, but it's there.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Which bands? John Lydon left the Sex Pistols to form PiL, which moved past
> rock music (which Lydon proclaimed was dead) to embrace various raw ethereal
> sounds from other cultures. The Clash, of course, mixed reggae, ska and yes,
> disco (and early rap) once they got the three-chord thang outta their
> system. The New York bands like Blondie and Talking Heads also did this,
> though in my view the Heads went further and did it better than Blondie. I
> wouldn't label X a racist or homophobic band, nor The Germs, whose lead
> singer Darby Crash was queer (and penned some great lyrics), nor Fear, who
> wrote hard-core ironical lyrics that trashed the whole jock mentality. And
> then there's the Dead Kennedys' "Nazi Punks Fuck Off," a short stabbing song
> that I doubt the NatRev kids would find comforting.
>
> Every genre has its idiots and knuckleheads, punk/New Wave included. But I
> can't think of a major, influential punk band that sang racist, queer-hating
> songs. Who am I missing?
>
> Dennis

Not the bands, the audience. I would wager than 85% of the time I went to see a punk band play some Nazi-wanna-be's and/or skinheads would try (and sometimes succeed) to kick my ass. Many of the fucking suburban white kids who came to the concerts did so with violence in mind. I never went in alone, it was too dangerous. Trips to the emergency room were almost as much a part of the scene as anything else. The fights were usually after the gig was over but I remember a Black Flag concert in Tulsa that was stopped because of such fighting. The white boys from the suburbs were even more mad about this so it was hell getting out of there. New York was the exception, for me anyway. Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, Minneapolis even San Francisco (which surprised us for some reason) were all scenes of after concert fights with these assholes. Native American punks were few and faw between and not exactly made welcome by a small but vocal part of the scene. Even Adam Ant looking like some da-nu-wa--ag-i-la didn't help!

John Thornton