[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:45:15 PDT 2006

I have similar memories from the DC punk scene. There were a LOT of skinheads there (curiously including two black women) and myself and friends were singled out by them on account of being "Crassholes" (i.e. fans of Crass and similar anarcho-left bands). I managed to escape any ass-kicking thanks to avoiding certain parts of town and, in one case, sneaking out the one door of a venue which the skin girls hadn't blocked, but some of my friends weren't so lucky. This was in the 1980s.

I was too young in the 1970s to listen to punk, but I know from reading about it that some of the early British bands did flirt with Naziism, although this was more as a (dumb, naive) statement of rebellion than an actual political philosophy. Siouxsie and the Banshees for one wore Swastikas and sang a song with a lyric "Too many Jews for my liking".