[lbo-talk] $105 oil?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 28 20:43:30 PDT 2006

I can only speak for telecommuting in hi tech & yes, it appears to be big. In my twenty years as a tech writer, I have only worked on-site about six years. All the rest of the time, I have basically worked at home ( as a full time permanent worker; temps, of course, usually work at home). The pluses are that's it's cheaper and more flexible; the minuses are that it's lonely, that you're always at work, and that anything that can be done from a distance, can be done from a BIG distance--that is, outsourced.

The hi tech industry seems to like telecommuting more and more, and even though managers don't like the loss of control, it is clearly an advantage to companies if you pay your own office rent. The major company I work for tells us that it saves 75,000/year for each employee who works at home. Tha'ts not chump change. They save enough money that they're willing to pay my phone bill and my cable modem, which is nice.

I would guess that to the extent that telecommuting is feasable, it will be the direction that corps go.

J.