[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 19:41:53 PDT 2006

Dennis wrote:

>Oi bands are a dime a dozen; apart from their tribal
>base, do they truly affect the larger culture?

I'd say they do. I believe The Police opened for Skrewdriver on a few occasions, and the German band Bohse Onklez have a wide audience across their own country and aborad.

Skrewdriver wasn't overtly racist then and I understand the Onkelz' politics are a matter of contention (I don't speak German), but these bands' core audiences are a bit far to the right.

In the end, though, your hunches are likely spot-on. Oi bands in the US are probably disproportionately anti-racist, I'd think. Country seems to be a more popular oulet for retrograde songwriting.