[lbo-talk] $105 oil?

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 19:51:33 PDT 2006

Chris wrote:

>So, no doubt, is Putin

I'm not too sure I accept this. A lot of the stats that depict the US as oil starved are a function of SEC regulations. If it's not economically viable to extract oil, your reserves sort of don't exist. The dearer the price of a barrel, by convention, the more XOM and COP have.

It was great to have been in a Russia fund the past two years, but if prices run up hugely Russia will find itself cut out. There's an already zany overestimation of their risk profile. Twin that with a similarly zany faith in Alberta tar sands and other nonconventional resources and you could see a stall in Russia's resurgence.

But you never know.