[lbo-talk] Re: Aundhati Roy on the brewing instability in India

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 15:53:48 PDT 2006

Chris Doss:

I assume both stories [both dire and “shining” re: India] are true. India is making tremendous advances, at tremendous costs. The emphasis depends on one's spends.

==================

As you say, emphasis is all.

Well, perhaps not “all”; some trends are more significant than others.

The question of what to focus on – calamities or triumphs – is of more than passing interest to me.

I'm African American (hello, my name is Dwayne M. I enjoy computers, JG Ballard and the curve of a lovely woman's leg) which means I pay above average interest to media items in both the mainstream and lefty press that try to sympathetically detail the much discussed “pathologies” of the so-called underclass and related topics.

Oddly enough, I'm still rather close to the five guys I used to, as we say, 'run with' back in the day. And miraculously, if the torrent of awful statistics about Black men in America are used as a guide to miracles, each of us is doing extraordinarily well.

There's a jazz musician and a roboticist who helps send probes to the far ends of our solar system and a film director and an actor and yours truly, scourge of over-enthusiastic artificial intelligence boosters everywhere.

When we talk about this question of emphasis – and you know we do – someone will inevitably say he's tired of all the “negative” stuff about incarceration rates, police brutality and bad behavior. “What those of us who're kicking ass?”

To which I reply, “there have always been, even in the most terrible moments, folk who managed to do well. The question is, which reality is more real, our Internet-linked, flights to Seoul and Tokyo, art, science and technology enhanced lives or the grind millions face?”

Yes, there is good happening with bad, but what's the stronger trend line?

.d.

--------- Necessitas ultimum et maximum telum est.

Livy

http://monroelab.net/blog/