[lbo-talk] Re: Aundhati Roy on the brewing instability in India

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 31 16:25:46 PDT 2006

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> To which I reply, “there have always been, even in the
> most terrible moments, folk who managed to do well.
> The question is, which reality is more real, our
> Internet-linked, flights to Seoul and Tokyo, art,
> science and technology enhanced lives or the grind
> millions face?”
>
> Yes, there is good happening with bad, but what's the
> stronger trend line?

I think we need to divide your discussion further. Those who "do well" fall into two categories. In the particular category you describe (that of black males who do well), the ones who do well are not doing well BECAUSE other black males are doing poorly! But I believe in the case of India we are talking about millions who do very well precisely BECAUSE 10s or 100s of millions are doing very badly indeed. If Roy is even partly correct, those dams are responsible for the "doing well" of 10s of thousands and the doing very badly indeed of 100s of millions -- and the two can't be separated.

A dialectic of the good part and the bad part is concretely and savagely attacked by Marx in POP.

Carrol