[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 1 12:53:22 PST 2006

Dennis:

Doesn't this get down to what we're talking about? How receptive might they be if they were exposed to more of them, in a way that's engaging and not off-putting, as Doug and Dwayne are talking about? I'm thinking of, for example, a sports section with Dennis P. as editor.

[WS:] I agree - acceptance is the matter of exposure and familiarity. But by the same token, establishing that exposure and familiarity is not simply the matter of a media blitz. It is a process in which consistency with other beliefs and values matter as much, if not more, than the duration or intensity of exposure.

As we talked on this list time again, there is a widely shared value and belief system in the US that combines individualism, hope for a personal reward/success, faith in free enterprise and belief in the supernatural. This system is not very receptive to left wing ideologies that combine collectivism, redistributive justice and secularism.

Therefore, mere exposure will not do the trick. One also needs to square the circle by integrating the left wing value system into that shared by the majority of the US population, regardless of their socio-economic status.

Wojtek