[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:26:07 PST 2006

Day 4, Tape 3 00:56:14 [Frank Gannon]

Was Brezhnev wearing his Camp David jacket when you gave him his car?

Day 4, Tape 3 00:56:19 [Richard Nixon]

Oh, yes. Yes. We--that was a pretty sporting event. We gave him, this time, a Lincoln. We'd given him a Cadillac, I think--yes, it was a Cadillac in Moscow, and I think we gave him a Chrysler the next time around. So he had one--one each of the Big Three.

Day 4, Tape 3 00:56:32 [Frank Gannon]

Were--you were telling him something?

Day 4, Tape 3 00:56:34 [Richard Nixon]

(Laughs.) Er, no. So we gave him the--the--this Lincoln he wanted to try. And so I got into the seat with him, and the Secret Service were petrified again, at any--because they don't let a president drive the car or anybody else drive except one of them. But, in any event, we went around a one-lane road which goes around the perimeter of Camp David, and it's a very steep drive, and I've gone down it in a golf cart. And it--it can be very dicey if the brakes on the golf cart are not particularly up to s--speed. But in this case, he went down that hill about fifty miles an hour, and I was just thinking, "My God, if one of the Marines comes aro--up that--up that road the other way, we're going to hit him." But fortunately we didn't. He--this--he turned as we went around the corner at the bottom, because it makes a hairpin turn to go back up the hill. The car turned, squeaked around there, and the tires screaming, and then we went up the hill and then finally came to a stop back up, and he's--he's--turned to me, and he smiled, and he says, "This car holds the road very well." And I was just thinking--it takes something sometimes to be a diplomat.

http://www.libs.uga.edu/media/collections/nixon/nixonday4.html