[lbo-talk] Imperialism and (Failed) Hegemony

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 2 13:55:29 PST 2006

Michael McIntyre wrote:

> I've posted my Rethinking Marxism 2006 paper (the one Carrol mentioned
> a few days ago) on my blog: http:morbidsymptoms.blogspot.com. First,
> beware that Carrol is right - this is very unfinished.

Footnote. I mentioned before my hearing problem and the fact that I could hear Michael. But for the first few minutes I was puzzled because I kept mishearing a key term, "Gramsci," as "Chomsky," which made it difficult to follow the argument for a bit. All was clarified as soon as I figured out it must be Gramsci!

Michael is on to something. Whether or not his precise argument is correct, the concept of hegemony needs to be examined more closely than it usually is. Easy use of it is all too apt to collapse into tautology.

Carrol