[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Nov 2 22:48:39 PST 2006

I have a couple thoughts on this topic. The first is that I don't think that it is fair to compare Einstein and Kissinger. Einstein's comments came from a position of a genuinely pacifistic hatred of war and the brutal results of WWII, whereas Kissinger's comment is cynical hatred of the masses similar to reactionary thinkers such as Strauss or Schmitt. I think that it is important to recognize the difference between a hatred of murder under the guise of love of nation as opposed to cynical use of that love of nation.

As to the comments that World Burns to Death made, they seem like the sort of moralistic comments that the Weather Underground made about the GI's before they learned better. If we look at the success of the anti-Vietnam movement, it was primarily based on alliances between the anti-war movement and the GI's. The war came to a halt in large degree because large sections of the soldiers refused to fight. This was aided by a sophisticated understanding on the part of the NLF in separating a critique of the imperialism of the United States from its citizen soldiers. It seems that these alliances rather than moralistic condemnation are the way to produce an effective anti-war movement.

robert wood