[lbo-talk] AWOL soldier who fled to Canada surrenders at Fort Knox

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 06:48:25 PST 2006

> On Nov 2, 2006, at 7:41 PM, B. wrote:
>
> > “Having grown up in an age of security, we all had
> > nostalgia for the unusual great perils. The war
> thus
> > seized hold of us like strong liquor. It was under
> > hail of flowers that we left, drunk on roses and
> > blood. Without a doubt, the war offered us
> grandeur,
> > strength and gravity. It seemed to us like a
> virile
> > exploit: the joyous combats of infantrymen in the
> > meadows where blood fell like dew on the flowers.
> "
> >
> > -- Ernst Jünger, Storms of Steel

Ah, Junger. An incredibly good futurist writer. His On the Marble Cliffs is a brilliant savaging of the Nazis who adored him initially and whom he despised. Lived a long time to, finally died in the 90s I think.

His cameo with Remarque (they discuss the Great War) in Grass' My Century is my favorite part of the whole book.