[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Nov 3 11:33:16 PST 2006

Charles Brown wrote:

>> What are the fantastic sensations in driving these various cars ?

Power, eros, risk.

And:

>From: Dwayne Monroe >It's not entirely unlike very good sex.

Wow, does my mileage vary. Whatever model car I'm in, my automotive experience is the same: boredom, interspersed on long trips and congested Interstates with moments of claustrophobic terror. In fact, I credit the humongous traffic tie-ups of the NYC-Baltimore run with turning my lifelong dislike of confined spaces into a full-blown case of panic disorder. Way to

go, Rt. 95!

Carl

^^^^^^

Since I asked the question I've been trying to "feel" if I get any fantastic sensations when I drive cars. I can't think of any imaginary ones, just the actual sights, smells , sounds and feels, most of which are in the surrounds, not the car itself. The music on the radio triggers my imagination in the ordinary way that music does. I'm thinking a car is similar to clothes for me. They are there around me, but I'm not much aware of them.

There must be some way I suppress the sense of risk Doug mentions, because I know that auto accidents are a leading cause of death and serious injury , but I don't feel scared when I drive. I don't feel power or strength because the physical power is all in the car not me. As to eros/sex, I've never felt it in relation to the car itself, just someone in the car.

Charles