[lbo-talk] Borat

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 6 15:43:35 PST 2006

[bounced because it was attached to the entire contents of the digest]

From: "Gary Mongiovi" <MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu> Date: November 6, 2006 6:29:23 PM EST To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Borat

I'd just like to second Carl's endorsement of "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle," a real gem of a comedy. I enjoyed Borat immensely, but Borat himself is just a schtick, not a genuine character, so the movie wasn't altogether satifying as a story about a person. (Granted, the schtick is hilarious.)

I wonder if anyone on the list caught Bobcat Goldthwait's "Sleeping Dogs Lie," which got pretty good reviews but had only a brief, and surely unprofitable, run here in New York. I saw it in an almost empty theater, which is a shame because it's smart, funny and sweet-- not what you'd expect from Godthwaith if all you know is his annoying hyperactive standup persona. (His "Shakes the Clown" is a personal favorite of mine; it is, as the video box says, "The Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies".)

Gary