[lbo-talk] Re: Nothing's the matter with Kansas

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 07:56:43 PST 2006

Doug (to Brian Dauth):

Brian, that's not fair at all. Chuck has long made it clear that he's seriously annoyed by the role of Jesus in American political life. Would it have been ok to make that remark about a white centrist politician, just not a black one?

And see, that's exactly what I was thinking.

As a Black man who, from time to time, speaks of his non-faith, I share some of Chuck's annoyance at the relentless insertion of Jesus into every nook and cranny.

I'm also a wee bit put out by well-meaning folk who want to extend a rhetorical force shield around things Black people say and do (as happened Brian when you implied that a "Black man expressing his faith" is somehow more special and deserving of protection than a White guy doing the same thing or perhaps even the opposite universe version, a Black man expressing his un-faith).

And I've got to say that the "massa" line was just really, really uncalled for.

Chuck is not a racist and doesn't deserve to be spoken to or about as if he's some jackass trying to keep me out of his neighborhood.

.d.

>From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.

Raymond Chandler

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/