[lbo-talk] Ellen Willis dies

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Fri Nov 10 06:56:45 PST 2006

I read this stuff in digest now, so sorry if I'm behind. Jesse, I usually really like your writing and your thinking, but I have no idea what you're on about here. It's not sexist or anti-feminist to criticize a woman's political ideas when she has just died -- it's everything feminists have fought for. That is, to be taken seriously just like men, and that's not always nice or pretty. I am quite sure Ellen WIllis would agree.

However, I didn't mention her Zionism in my quick obit -- though I've mentioned it in passing when writing about her in the past -- because her work on global politics, to me, was just not Ellen Willis's major contribution. Her writing was best when she was thinking unconventionally.

Liza