[lbo-talk] Re: Ellen Willis dies

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Nov 10 11:40:42 PST 2006

>> Not noted in the obits I've seen so far she was co-author of the
>> Redstockings Manifesto
>
>It was noted in the NYT obit:
>
>> In addition, Ms. Willis was a vital figure in the women's movement of
>> the late 1960s and afterward. She was a founder of Redstockings, a
>> short-lived but highly influential radical feminist group begun in 1969.

Actually her co-authorship of the Manifesto was not noted, nor was her part in naming the group. That's important because the Manifesto is very widely read and reprinted (a process that accelerated since we founded the Redstockings Archives in 1989) and it has some of her trademark sharpness and clarity. "This time we're going all the way."

>BTW, have you written a letter to the editor taking issue with the the
>"short-lived" part?

It was short-lived. It flew apart by 1970. It was refounded in '73 by veterans of the original group. In 1989 we founded the Archives.

Jenny Brown