[lbo-talk] RE: Borat

Jason Morris jamorris at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 14:03:21 PST 2006

I just saw it last night. I hadn’t planned on seeing in the theater until I read Dennis' review.

In short, It’s good, worth seeing, but I didn’t laugh nearly as much as everyone else in the theater (I’m not sure if Charles & Baron Cohen want us to either).

The preacher scene got me laughing more than anything else. I think 90 minutes of Borat encountering & interviewing unsuspecting Americans & getting them to be brutally honest would have been more interesting than the Pamela Anderson sub-plot, and the ending felt anticlimactic.

But, as has been said before on this list, comedy is very subjective.

Since the great Bert Williams’ name came up in this discussion, here’s a recording of his signature song, ‘Nobody’ http://ia200136.eu.archive.org/3/audio/BertWilliams/BertWilliams-Nobody_2_64kb.mp3

And here's a good article about Williams: http://www.libarts.ucok.edu/history/faculty/roberson/course/1493/readings/Bert%20Williams.htm

_________________________________________________________________ Get today's hot entertainment gossip http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001