[lbo-talk] The Bichler & Nitzan Archives: New Items

Jonathan Nitzan nitzan at yorku.ca
Sat Nov 11 14:42:56 PST 2006

Aysha, Emad El-Din. 2006. "Yamani's Oil-Spill: Energetic Arabs on America's Energetic Conflicts." Egyptian Mail, October 28, p. 3.

FROM THE ARTICLE: As you (should) know by now, I’m a big fan of the Nitzan-Bichler analysis of Middle East politics on the basis of the global political economy of oil, turning standard Marxist, neo-colonial accounts of petro-politics on their head. Here’s my latest installment based on information I’m more privy to as a Middle Easterner. (If there is such a thing to begin with, bearing in mind also that Nitzan and Bichler are both Israelis, so your guess is as good as mine if they count!) I speak of the three interviews of Sheikh Ahmed Zaki al-Yamani on Al-Jazeera with all of the very interesting revelations he made, the general gist of which fits in with the Nitzan-Bichler thesis. While heavily involved in the mechanics of the 1973 October War ‘oil weapon’, he has to come to conclude thanks to subsequent events, that raising the price of oil was not in the interest of the Arabs but the US and the oil companies.

FULL TEXT: http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/222/

Aysha, Emad El-Din. 2006. "Keys to Failure: Israel's Performance in Global Perspective." Egyptian Mail, November 4, p. 3.

FROM THE ARTICLE: Just as the war was grinding on, I got hold of this study of what was going on in Lebanon, in global political economy perspective ... from two of the most reliable and insightful researchers it has been my good fortune to read -- Jonathan Nitzan and Shimshon Bichler's ‘Cheap Wars’.... It is a bit irritating that both of them are Israelis and as usual are way ahead of us Arab journalists and our conspiracy theories -- me included -- but there's no harm in getting an inside account of what went wrong with the Israeli war.... And they figured it out before the war even 'went' wrong!

FULL TEXT: http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/221/

Jonathan Nitzan

Political Science York University 4700 Keele St. Toronto, Ontario, M3J-1P3 Canada Voice: (416) 736-2100, ext. 88822 Fax: (416) 736-5686 email: nitzan at yorku.ca website: http://bnarchives.net -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------