Liberal agony - how to have my cake and eat it too. Re: [lbo-talk] IsThere Still a Jewish Question? by Ellen Willis

utopia1 at attglobal.net utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Nov 11 22:35:51 PST 2006

This is a very pomo list. You post something of substance, and Doug and others reply to their own personal narrative, at many removes from the posting that they claim to be replying to.

In this case, what I offered seems kind of obvious and somewhat comical; here's an ardent leftist, Palmer, who is attacking Ellen Willis, saying she needs to see a shrink and to stop "laying her trip on the Left," and he is clearly unaware that she is dead. He doesn't read LBO, nor the Times, nor the Nation on-line, and doesn't know a soul who might have told him in conversation or email that he is urging a dead person to see a shrink. I mean, it goes against everything Stanley Milgram showed in this "Small World" experiments: there are far more than six degrees of separation between this leftist and a world that knows that Ellen Willis is dead. (Following Milgram's results, Palmer is further away from Ellis's world than an Iowa farmer is from a Harvard professor.)

All this is suggestive of a larger point that I have been making -- the distance from feminist reality of people like Palmer and many others on this list. I mean, who would have to die for Palmer to notice it? We could have an experiment: suppose, I hope not, Gloria Steinem died: how long would it take for Palmer to get the news? And how would this compare with the rapidity that he learned of the death of some minor Marxist?

So, Doug, instead of addressing your own personal narrative -- parking charges for high horses etc. , "discourse," etc. -- do you have anything to say about the above substance? I thought you were into social science.

Jesse Lemisch