[lbo-talk] Re: trash talking the lumpenproletariat

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 21:49:56 PST 2006

I gotta say, I think that's a bit of an unfair attack on woj, because I will concur that it is just really, really tough to live in baltimore, whoever you are.

I've been a lot of fucked up places and the only one I would compare to baltimore is camden, -maybe- detroit. The quotidian violence and theft and danger and misery bystanders in baltimote get exposed to is really not a fantasy. The last time I saw statistics on it, between ten and twenty percent of baltimore's -entire population- was addicted to crack. I have a lot of gallows-humor stories of baltimore, bizzarre and awful experiences that always connect somehow to the drug epidemic. Lot of misery in the rust belt but baltimore really stands above the pack.

All of which is expressed amazingly in The Wire, but that's another subject.