[lbo-talk] defining terms (was RE: trash talking the lumpenproletariat)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 23:57:41 PST 2006

Bill Bartlett wrote:

>> That isn't a counter-example though, in the sense that it doesn't
>> contradict the theory. Its rather the other side of the same coin.
>> Training, "behavioural" or otherwise, would be education imposed from
>> the outside. As opposed to learning, or education from the inside
>> out, as you put it.

Yes, you're right. I misspoke. I meant an example of the opposite approach that proves the original case.

As for Kozol -- his book "Savage Inequalities" is first rate. As for the educational system -- Bush's "No Child Left Behind" is the final death blow. My daughter is entering high school next year. By dint of patient research, favor currying, and lying, I have managed to put her through very good public schools (in Oakland). But as she goes through, the dominoes are falling behind her. Increasingly, funds are allocated to the middle-class charter schools (which can select their students), while the schools in the neediest neighborhoods become saddled with the most troubled cases, the worst teachers -- and sometimes no teachers, just a series of substitutes. Teacher pay is also very low.

It's pretty bad.

Joanna