[lbo-talk] defining terms (was RE: trash talking the lumpenproletariat)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Nov 12 05:24:54 PST 2006

At 11:57 PM -0800 11/11/06, joanna wrote:

>Bill Bartlett wrote:
>>>
>>>That isn't a counter-example though, in the sense that it doesn't
>>>contradict the theory. Its rather the other side of the same coin.
>>>Training, "behavioural" or otherwise, would be education imposed
>>>from the outside. As opposed to learning, or education from the
>>>inside out, as you put it.
>>
>Yes, you're right. I misspoke. I meant an example of the opposite
>approach that proves the original case.
>
>As for Kozol -- his book "Savage Inequalities" is first rate. As
>for the educational system -- Bush's "No Child Left Behind" is the
>final death blow. My daughter is entering high school next year. By
>dint of patient research, favor currying, and lying, I have managed
>to put her through very good public schools (in Oakland). But as she
>goes through, the dominoes are falling behind her. Increasingly,
>funds are allocated to the middle-class charter schools (which can
>select their students), while the schools in the neediest
>neighborhoods become saddled with the most troubled cases, the worst
>teachers -- and sometimes no teachers, just a series of substitutes.
>Teacher pay is also very low.
>
>It's pretty bad.

I thought it was bad here. But there is no way I would tolerate my kids being subjected to the kind of education system described by Kozol. I'd send my kids to a religious school first, or home-school them, or go underground to keep them out of the clutches of such a cruel and inhuman system.

Better no education than that kind of education system. I'd rather my kids grew up illiterate, than have their curiousity ground under an iron heel. Ignorance is not so bad really, never did me any harm that I'm aware of. ;-) Oh yeah, I'm lumpenproletariat through and through.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas