[lbo-talk] Reuters: Bush support down to 31% public backs Dems' goals

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 06:36:00 PST 2006

I guess my optimism about a whopping 92% favoring prescription drug pricing cuts (I think I posted about a recent problem I had with this, myself; I had to get aid from a local church to pay for some medicine I needed, one of the most surreal things I have ever had to do in my life); and the over 80% favoring of cuts in student loan repayments got the best of me.

I am not optimistic about the public's attitudes right now towards the war (or towards war in general), or the kind of slavish worshipfulness of soldierly power that undergirds much of American society, the jingoism that seems to almost biologically inhere in the US public. So, to add to your sentiment, yeah, a record 44 self-professed "blue dog Democrats" (that is, conservative Dems) are in Congress now.

-B.

Marvin wrote:

"But you chose for some reason to omit what was the most relevant (and discouraging) part of the report which shows how confused Americans are about the war - a confusion which has been fostered through the media all week by the leadership of both parties which does not want public pressure to force the pace at which US forces are withdrawn from Iraq:"