[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 13 10:28:18 PST 2006

tfast wrote:

> This is just obscene. Only Woj can start with an unconstructed "free"
> individual and then proclaim any and all action short of a gun to the head,
> nay even there we have a choice, to be evidence of the freedom to choose.

Indeed. Actually, all Wojtek is doing is echoing Milton but without Milton's fine qualification (paraphrased from memory): "Tyranny must be, but to the tyrant no excuse." The strong need to hold almost everyone in contempt can generate weird intellectual gymnastics. Milton had a good excuse: the English people had stood by while the Restoration tortured his friends to death. That would generate a certain understandable bite.

Carrol