[lbo-talk] RE: Ortega as sellout

Cseniornyc at aol.com Cseniornyc at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 23:51:55 PST 2006

Carl Remick writes: "The tone is indeed irritating. And I find the author more interesting than the narrative -- " Well indeed the tone is set on purpose since Vargas Llosa's job is to put down anything the Latin left does. There is actually not much interesting about him . Just a case of blatant nepotism as his father Mario, who is not a "magic-realist" author , has a long standing career as Peru's major right winger and reprrsentantive of the US interests. On this basis he has managed to secure well paid positions for his son Alvaro as a hack in US think tanks just like his present cozy job at the Independent Institute in D.C. The Institute is just another Libertarian pro Neolib Globalization a la AEI or Hoover's. Finally ,Ortega is either a major sellout case or a master Machiavello of severe proportions. We'll have to wait and see. Cristobal