[lbo-talk] Caldwell: the Congressional Repugs will head farther right

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 11:25:18 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Michael Pollak quoted Chris Caldwell:

> Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform diagnosed the
> conservative movement as "perfectly healthy".

As I recall, there is an RLC that's trying to do the same thing for the Reps that the DLC did for the Dems. Evidently it's not working. But on the other hand, the Reps actually have a political philosophy, unlike the Dems, who are all over the place.

Speaking of Norquist, I meant to forward this the other day.

Financial Times - November 10, 2006

Rove off the hook as party blames Iraq By Caroline Daniel, Holly Yeager and Krishna Guha

[...]

Although some glitz has come off Mr Rove, Republicans have been more eager to blame botched campaigns and individual ethics scandals. “Bob Sherwood’s seat [in Pennsylvania] would have been overwhelmingly ours, if his mistress hadn’t whined about being throttled,” said Mr Norquist. Any lessons from the campaign? “Yes. The lesson should be, don’t throttle mistresses.”