[lbo-talk] Hitch on Borat

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 18:54:04 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If you were a professional film critic, you would be the kind of
> critic whose reviews are superior to the films reviewed.

That's exceedingly sweet of you to say. But I'm not sure that's true of any critic. Even though great critics can write reviews that are a timeless pleasures in themselves -- I'm right this moment enjoying one by Dorothy Parker from 1931 -- it's such a different pleasure from enjoying a movie or play it seems like comparing playing with children to being one.

(The review can be better than the movie if the movie flat out sucks -- but those are limit cases in which it will be true of almost any review. Mocking is always more enjoying than suffering.)

Michael