[lbo-talk] Jury duty

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 15 11:10:42 PST 2006

>Carrol
>
>P.S. Can anyone with more musical understanding than I describe what it
>is that makes Cash's guitar playing so distinctive?

A sublime absence of technical prowess. Cash and Luther Perkins, his first guitarist, were learning on the job. The sparse one-string-at-a-time "boom chicka boom" sound they came up with became Cash's signature sound. Someone once asked Perkins why some guitarists' fingers flew all over the neck of the guitar while his barely moved. He said "they're looking for it and I found it."