[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 10:37:53 PST 2006

Wojtek:

Clearly, many people of the liberal persuasion (including this list) see the world through the blame the environment cognitive frame (at least in relation to the underclass), and become visibly annoyed when that frame is being questioned. But so do the people of the conservative persuasion. Of course, this is hardly surprising, for as Harold Garfinkel's "breaching experiments" demonstrated - people generally do like it when their taken for granted priors are being questioned.

What I find a bit surprising, though, is that many otherwise intelligent, critically thinking and out-of-the-box people seem to fall into same trap when their own taken for granted frames are concerned.

Perhaps. But I note that there are traps within traps.

Your heavy dependence upon what might be called the 'frame interpretation of opinion' very often leads you to dismiss criticisms of government action that are based upon tactical or operational, as opposed to purely ideological, considerations.

This happened when the London police fatally shot Jean Charles de Menezes in July of 2005.

At the time, you considered all critical analysis of police racism, ineptitude and sloppy profiling to be lefty framing (as I recall, you didn't use 'framing' but the idea was clearly expressed in your statements).

Ironically (and unsurprisingly), your attempts to escape cognitive limitations through reason only lead to yet another perceptual cul de sac.

.d.