[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 15 15:36:35 PST 2006

On 11/15/06, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To dust off some old Bakunin: "Societies prepare the
> crimes, individuals commit them."
> [...]
> But unless those absolute lines are met,
> case-by-case judgments seem best, weighing individual
> & social background in each offense.

I think Gatto's _Underground History of Education_* convincingly presents the other side -- how monstrous our systems of education can be. What else do people expect from a system where children are graded like sides of beef?

That said, I don't know enough of educational history to really judge Gatto's book, if anyone would like to chime in or knows a review.

* http://www.rit.edu/~cma8660/mirror/www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

Tayssir