[lbo-talk] Thesis, antithesis, thesis!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 15 23:05:51 PST 2006

Sunil/Dissident Voice wrote:

> I'd find TV more worthwhile if there
> were programs like SFU.

It really isn't a question of whether TV is "worthwhile" or not. Of course much of it has been, though I'd like to see a discussion over what in the world "worthwhile" means. The question I raised a year or so ago and could not get a straight answer from Doug then or now is why any given person _should_, as a moral, political duty, watch tv? I did not say that anyone should _not_ watch tv; I just challenged the idea that any one person _should_ watch it. And it is no argument at all that millions of americans watch it. Millions of americans do all sorts of things -- and 8 hours of week watching (say) programs a,b,c,d,e, and f is 8 hours a week NOT watching programs f,g,h & so on which millions of americans are watching. It is also 8 hours spent _not_ loafing and inviting one's soul; it is 8 hours spent _not_ listening to country music; it is 8 hours spent _not_ playing tiddly-winks or sitting in the mall watching the crowd flow by.

What I was raising was a question re Doug's Puritanical dogmatism about how leftists _should_ spend their time, and the failur of such puritanism to honor what is only dimly glanced at by the phrase, "information glut."

Carrol