[lbo-talk] Jury duty

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 01:45:36 PST 2006

I add my voice to Doug's and Joanna's. The jury system, including the potential for nullification, that is, popular rejection of and action against laws perceived to be unfair or unfairly enforced, is a bulwark of democracy from below. When juries nullify Draconian drug laws enforced in a racially discriminatory way against small-time dealers, it takes a truly insane mind to see that as equivalent to the rule of a lynch mob. And while I have served on any juries, I have participated in or listened in on (federal) jury discussions of the rationales for their verdicts, and I am substantially impressed. I think nullification is fairly rare and a form of civil disobedience no less legitimate than other forms, and a lot less dangerous than systematic police "testilying,: