[lbo-talk] Jury duty

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 16 02:11:48 PST 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I add my voice to Doug's and Joanna's. The jury
> system, including the potential for nullification,
> that is, popular rejection of and action against laws
> perceived to be unfair or unfairly enforced, is a
> bulwark of democracy from below.

[Why are you up at this time of night. I've got an excuse -- prepping for a colonoscopy at 8am. It's a long night.]

The inspiring element in juries is a microcosm of how almost all humans can become suddenly more intelligent nad more thoughtful when they find themselves collectively in a position of responsibility in reference to a concrete situtation. Another analogous situation is sitting in people's kitchen talking to them about a petition or solidarity statement one is circulating. It works best in groups of three to five. When it does work, it makes one glad to be alive.

Carrol