[lbo-talk] Jury duty

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Nov 16 10:16:21 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 06:22:55PM -0600, John Thornton wrote:
> A friend just finished jury duty in Federal court
> and had a difficult time reaching a verdict. It
> was a drug case involving transporting meth. The
> problem she had was that she felt the police lied
> and tampered with some of the evidence to
> strengthen their case but that they did so
> unnecessarily. She believed the defendant was
> shown to be guilty even without the questionable
> evidence. Her question was basically whether it
> was acceptable to find a defendant not guilty, in
> spite of believing in his guilt, in order to
> punish the police for lying and altering evidence?
> I'm curious what others think they would do in a
> similar situation.

I'd vote non-guilty for any non-violent drug charge on principle.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

-Albert Einstein