[lbo-talk] Jury duty

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 15:24:48 PST 2006

The juror has to decide what her job is and I don't think it's to "punish" the police. After all, what the hell do they care?

But I think it is reasonable and a juror's duty to question the credibility of any witness who seems to have embellished or deceived. You could throw out everything that witness has to say. But if that witness is simply the conveyor of facts that seem inarguable and logical, you should probably believe the winess and act accordingly. The extreme case would be a witness who shows a video of the defendant committing the crime, but then lies about what he just showed on the screen. You can dismiss everything a dubious witness says, but still believe the evidence convicts if it can be believed independent of the witness.

But the juror is in control and the juror is the final arbiter of her responsibility.