[lbo-talk] Uncle Miltie, he dead

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sun Nov 19 10:32:24 PST 2006

Doug Henwood >
> CB: Don't they talk about it quite a bit ? Isn't GDP denominated in
> dollars
> ? Prices are in terms of money , no ?

Money is just a unit of account, a signifier for underlying "real" values. It introduces no mischief of its own.

Doug

^^^^^ CB: Money , Money everywhere , but not a lick that counts.

I actually am vaguely aware that there's a subtle issue I'm missing here ( at least I know that I don't know). I'm trying to get it out.

The above sort of sounds like neo-classicals subscribing to a labor theory of value. How do they say "real" value is created ? From land, labor and capital ?

Maybe it is that money matters in political economy, but not economics.

Marx had M-C-M(1)...

Measure of value, medium of circulation, means of payment...and about two or three other functions.

CHAPTER THREE: MONEY, OR THE CIRCULATION OF COMMODITIES

Contents

Section 1 - The Measure of Values Section 2 - The Medium of Circulation

A. The Metamorphosis of Commodities B. The Currency of Money C. Coin and Symbols of Value

Section 3 - Money

A. Hoarding B. Means of Payment C. Universal Money